Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Dilation Of The Kidney



My 6 month old has a kidney condition called hydronephrosis. They say there is a dilation in the urinary tract in the upper right kidney pole to 15mm. Also a duplex kidney with relative obstruction of the upper motility. Will he need an operation?


It depends on what is causing the hydronephrosis. It is possible that he has an ectopic ureter. Generally, other tests, including a voiding cystourethrogram (in which the bladder is filled with x-ray dye to check for urinary reflux) and a kidney scan (to determine whether the upper part of the kidney has normal or reduced function, and whether there is significant obstruction) are performed. If surgery is necessary, usually it can be performed minimally invasively (i.e., with laparoscopy) rather than through a large incision. It sounds like he should be seen by a pediatric urologist.

For more information:

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University