Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Colorectal Diseases

Tortuous colon



I just had a colonoscopy done. They said that I have a tortuous colon. I still have pain in my left side. I stay constipated all the time. Is there anything that can help my colon? Is there a surgery that can help me?


You need a thorough and methodic evaluation of your constipation with an expert in colonic motility disorders. This may be a colorectal surgeon, or a gastroenterologist. They will do a few studies to determine if your colonic motility is abnormal, and if your pelvic floor is functioning correctly to allow regular BMs.

For more information:

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati