Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

It Feels Like Something`s on my Tongue

10/16/2008

Question:

For the past few days, I`ve noticed that it feels like something`s on the front part of my tongue. There`s nothing on my tongue though. It almost feels like it`s been burnt from drinking coffee or something. It acually tastes very bitter. Is there any thing you can think of?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. From your description, it sounds like you may have a condition called 'Burning Mouth Syndrome'. For more information please refer to the NetWellness article on Burning Mouth Syndrome. If an oral and maxillofacial pathologist is available, he/she would be good choice for an evaluation and any additional recommendations regarding management.

NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration