Lung Cancer

Bulge in the skin during coughing & sneezing

10/09/2008

Question:

Male 61 years old, 6 monts after thoroscopy, mediastinocopy & thoracotomy, removal of my right lung lower lobe, I still get a bulge in my chest, left side about 2 inches above my left nipple everytime I cough or sneeze. Trying to explain myself more, everytime I cough or sneeze a balloon, little smaller that a golf ball, protudes in my skin, it like blowing air onto my skin to form a small ballon. Is this serious? Is this a air pocket from the surgeries that fills up when I expel air through coughing or sneezing? Very concerned it has been six months. Right after surgery the surgeon said it would go away. Thank you.

Answer:

You may have a small hernia from the surgery.  It isn't something that should hurt you in any way; however, I would recommend seeing your surgeon about it since it hasn't gone away.

I hope this helps.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Sandra L Starnes, MD Sandra L Starnes, MD
Assistant Professor of Surgery