Gum Diseases

Osseous surgery result

10/13/2008

Question:

Had surgery because bone worn and tooth loose. Tooth remains loose one year after surgery. Is it still possible for bone to regenerate and gum to reattach to tooth? I`d like to avoid getting an implant for as long as possible.

Answer:

It is hard for me to determine the prognosis of your tooth without seeing you clinically and looking at an X-ray of your tooth.

Osseous surgery means that the surgeon opens up the area, cleans the root surface very well, and contours the bony structure around the tooth so that he or she can place your gum line close to your bone line.

The goal after osseous surgery is not regeneration and/or increased gum support. The general goal after osseous surgery is to open up a space so the patient can brush and maintain good oral hygiene. Thus, a decrease in tooth mobility following osseous surgery is rarely seen. However, you can probably keep your tooth in function for a long time if you can clean around it. You can also ask your dentist to splint it to adjacent teeth (if feasible) so tooth mobility will not bother you when you are chewing.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology