Athletic Training

ACL injury

10/14/2008

Question:

I tore my ACL during a soccer game in June and on Aug 26, 2008 I had ACL reconstruction surgery. I am a junior goaltender, and my question is that is there any type of tests that determine if the ACL surgery is healed and I can return to my normal activities? Thank you,

Answer:

I hope all is going well with your postoperative rehabilitation for your ACL injury. Typically, your physician and either physical therapist or athletic trainer will be closely monitoring your progress to determine your readiness to return to play.

They may use a variety of functional tests including strength, balance, and functional running and jumping activities to assess this. Most of your progression back to activity is based on healing constraints of your surgery and how you are responding to the rehab program.

I would continue to ask questions of your providers so you can follow their recommendations and return to your sport in as safe a manner as possible. Good luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences