Athletic Training

Knee pain

10/14/2008

Question:

I use a eliptical machine at least 4 times a weak on a 35 minute fat burning program. I walk 2 miles on alternating days. This is necessary for health reasons (I have a heart stent) I am 66 years young female (that is factored into my program). This has brought my cholesteral down as well as blood pressure (116/62. But what about my knee pain. Not severe but pretty constant in front of knee.Cannot swim so don`t suggest that. Am afraid to stop my program. Help

Answer:

Congratulations to you for continuing to maintain fitness throughout life. Unfortunately, sometimes the joints and muscles aren't as cooperative.

I would suggest a visit to your local sports medicine provider because he or she may be able to prescribe for you some exercises that will help alleviate your pain and keep you on your heart healthy exercise program.

Good luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences