Arthritis and Rheumatism

Swelling and Irregular Shape in the Foot

10/14/2008

Question:

I have RA and my feet are bad. I was sent to an occupational therapist and she made me custom made insoles. I tried to get use to them by the pain and swelling increased 10 fold. Even just sitting down and not walking in them would still cause my feet to swell. It felt like I had half of a tennis ball under my arches and it was very hard. I have also tried regular gel insoles without and with arch supports. The same thing happeened with the swelling and the pain. With the gels I also got muscle cramping in my calfs and locking of my big toe. Because of my hips my, feet are turned out especially my right foot. Right foot is so bad that the side of my foot goes first and not my toes. So I get alot of pain on the inside of my feet. What else can I do to help my feet? Can my doctors do any thing to get my leg/feet back to the correct position?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. A question similar to yours has been previously addressed. The links below will connect you to that information. NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Insoles and RA
Pain from arch supports

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org