Gum Diseases

Recession of interdental papillae

10/15/2008

Question:

After about a year of Invisalign treatment (still ongoing), I have noticed that in the back of my mouth (on both sides, though one side is worse than the other), my interdental papillae are severely receding. The recession doesn`t go all around each tooth; the front gumline on the buccal surfaces haven`t changed. It simply looks like the papillae have disappeared, leaving some gaps in between the roots of my teeth where there weren`t before.

I am fairly young, I brush and floss regularly but not traumatically, and do not have any kind of periodontal disease. What could have caused this? And what options are there for fixing it?

Answer:

Are you still receiving ortho treatment? Do you have space between your two teeth where you are seeing recession?

One has to determine the reason for recession before offering you treatment alternatives. Please see a periodontist to evaluate the severity of the problem. He/she can give you treatment options if it is needed.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology