Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Menopause/sex pain



I am about 50 years old and have been using HRT pill form. I have been in menopause for 5 years now. I have not had sex in past 5 years but recently in past 6 months have been having sexual intercourse with one individual. My problem is when my parter enters me I am in pain almost like I am not, how can I say this, open enough. After we have sex I am in pain on the sides of inside my vagina and around the outside and upon urinating am in pain. I do not know what to do as I have never had this problem before. Is there some kind of help out there? I have tried using lubricants but they are not very effective. Thank you


If the discomfort is not alleviated by lubricant and you have no obvious sores in the area or fissures in the skin, you may have experienced some tightening of the opening of the vagina.  You can buy a dilator or vibrator or dildo about the size of your partner's penis and place it in the vagina with some lubricant for 5 minutes each day.  It should get easier and easier until you are completely comfortable.  At that point, intercourse should also be completely comfortable.  It would be advisable to see a gynecologist who specializes in menopause and who is familiar with sexual function problems.

For more information:

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati