Sports Medicine

Side pain- Maybe kidney

11/19/2008

Question:

I was playing basketball about two weeks ago and I collided with someone, causing severe pain in my hip area. I thought that it was just a hip pointer and that in time the bruise would show and heal, but after two weeks I am still in pain whenever I sneeze, cough or laugh, as well as when I jump or stretch to far. What could I have done and should I see a doctor?

Answer:

By "kip stinger" you may be referring to a "hip pointer", a term which usually refers to a contusion (bruise) to the outer pelvis (hip bone) resulting from blunt trauma. You are correct that a bruise would typically occur with this condition. The fact your pain is worsened by sneezing, coughing, etc., suggests a mechanical/musculoskeletal (such as a rib contusion or fracture, or an abdominal muscle strain or contusion) cause is more likely than damage to an internal organ such as a kidney contusion. However, if you've noticed blood in your urine, definitely see your physician as soon as possible (small amounts of blood in the urine may not be visible). And, if your pain is worsening or just not improving, consulting with your physician would also be advisable.

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Clinical Associate Professor
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation