Depression

Depression and Sickness

10/27/2008

Question:

My ex-boyfriend and I broke up this past spring, and he has been very low ever since. He has become even more sad this past week I have come to find out, a lot of crying of course. He just got a severe headache for two days straight and actually threw up twice today. He gets sick all the time, including when we were dating. So I don't know if its maybe his body that's always sick, or is it beginnings of depression?

Answer:

The way for your ex-boyfriend to answer your question is for him to get an evaluation by his primary care doctor. Depression can cause physical symptoms such as the ones you describe, but there's no value in guessing. He should get an evaluation. That will tell him what his options are.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Lawson  Wulsin, MD Lawson Wulsin, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Family Medicine, Training Director of the Family Medicine Psychiatry Residency Program