COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Is this part of the procedure with emphysema?

10/30/2008

Question:

My husband is 80 years old and has emphysema for 20 years. At present he seems to be having more trouble breathing and getting around. Even for short distances inside the house. He also seems to be angry about anything and thinks that I am `ripping` him off and lieing to him. Is this part of the procedure with emphysema? He has extreme emphysema. I sometimes do not know how to relate to him, so I am just quiet. Doesn`t seem to be any reason to reason with him when he is unreasonable. Any answer will help. Thank you

Answer:

Your husband's mental status and being angry are not directly related to emphysema. However, patients with emphysema sometimes are depressed and angry because of their limitations. Also, emotional changes can be associated with certain medications used to treat emphysema, including prednisone.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep