Healthy carb pasta

12/04/2008

Question:

I am confused as how to figure the number of carbs when I eat a pasta such as Dreamfield. The box says there are 41 grams of carbs per serving (5 grams of fiber). However they claim there are only 5g of digestible carbs per serving. Which number should I use? I am trying to plan my meals but am uncertain how to treat this kind of pasta.

Thanks.

Answer:

Dreamfield pasta is a special kind of pasta. The website states "while the total number of carbohydrates is the same as traditional pasta, our patent-pending formula and unique manufacturing process protects all but 5 grams of carbohydrates from being digested. The Dreamfield's fiber and protein blend creates a protective barrier to reduce starch digestion in the small intestine. The unabsorbed, or protected carbohydrates then pass to the colon where they are fermented, providing the same health benefits as fiber."

Thus, when you are figuring our the carbs in your meal, you can use 5g of carb per serving. As always, check your blood sugar before and 2 hours after the meal to confirm the effect that this pasta has on your blood sugars.

Connie A Gottfried, MPH, RD, LD, CDE Connie A Gottfried, MPH, RD, LD, CDE
Formerly