Urinary Disorders

Lower abdominal pain, foul smelling urine

10/28/2008

Question:

For over a week now I have had lower abdominal pain/pressure with intermittant frequent urination and a constant foul smell. Recently I have developed further, more intense pain after drinking anything carbonated especially beer. This pain starts in my flank and travels back to my left kidney. Only after days of drinking nothing but water does the pain subside. I have had a CAT scan and blood work that all comes back negative. Please tell me if you have any ideas. Thank you

Answer:

If you have not been seen by a Urologist you should have a cystoscopy. Foul smelling urine is generally caused by infected urine. If the CT scan was a non contrasted study looking for stones you may need a different study looking for abnormalities such as an obstructed kidney because of a blockage near the kidney (UPJ) or even a communication with the bowel.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Marc F Cymes, PA Marc F Cymes, PA
Clinical Instructor of Urology