Sports Medicine

Right foot gone wrong

10/31/2008

Question:

On Sept. 4th, I had an avulsion roll on my right foot and on the x-ray showed a cuboid fracture and calcaneo cuboid ligament damage. I was put in an air cast. On Oct 9, I had a MRI because of an inability to move my toes and still a great deal of pain and swelling. The MRI showed talus bruising and ligament damage. It is now Oct 24 and I can barely walk. My foot is so sore, at the heel, on the right side above cuboid and talus. My PT is concerned about my foot and sent me to a foot specialist for more follow up. I am now concerned and in so much pain. Do I go back in the cast? Stay off of it? Could I have a cyst or bone death or fragment in my foot needing surgery? I live in Enlgand and would consider coming to America for more thorough care. I am desperate for resolution and solutions. I am a competitive runner and athlete so this is difficult for me from both a physical and emotional point of view but concerns for long term moblity is now an issue. What can I expect and what is best course of action?

Answer:

I believe that you have good reason for concern as your injury sounds complicated from your description. At this point it is important to have an assessment of the healing so far and a prognosis of what you can reasonably expect after such an injury. I do not have any specific recommendations for care in either the UK or USA, but rather would suggest that you seek out a comprehensive sports medicine clinic that routinely encounters these types of injuries in athletes (e.g. football, rugby, etc). I believe this is the best option for you to regain as much function as possible.

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM
Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery