Athletic Training

Patella realignment 4 years ago

10/30/2008

Question:

Hi I`m a 28yr. old female and I had a patella realignment 4yrs ago on my rt. knee(I also had a previous lateral release when i was 17). 6 months after my surgery my doctor had to remove the screws because they were causing me pain. My problem is no matter what I do my shin is still swollen and always hurts. I wrap it, massage it, ice it and everything but nothing helps. What could be wrong?

Answer:

I am assuming the site of pain on your shin is located where the screws were removed. Occasionally, you can get irritation at the site from screw removal. I am assuming yours was a metal screw versus one that is bioabsorbable, which means it breaks down on its own over time.

I have seen irritation at the site from both types of screws but 4 years seems to be a long time. I would follow up with your physician who performed the surgery for a further evaluation to determine the source of your ongoing pain.

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences