Menopause

Symptoms going on for too long!

12/15/2008

Question:

I`m 51 and when I began having hot flashes 6 years ago my doctor ran a test and confirmed that I was pre-menopausal. Since then my period has been long gone (3 yrs) but my extreme hot flashes and night sweats have continued affecting my quality of life; that can be realy embarrasing. I tried HRT for 1 year and decided to stop 1 year ago because I would still have the same symptoms only slightly less intense. How much longer can I expect to continue having these annoying symptoms? Is this normal?

Answer:

I am a little confused. You said you are "pre-menopausal" (that means you are not in menopause), yet you said you are not having your period? If you are truly post-menopausal (that means you are in menopause), and are having hot flashes, they can last several years. I would meet with your doctor again to discuss HT again, or you other alternative medications.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Cynthia B Evans, MD Cynthia B Evans, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology