Gum Diseases

Gum disease

11/10/2008

Question:

I`m a 43 year old women, who lost all my back teeth, now my front lower are extemely loose, I wear a partial on the top, lost top front, now I`m losing front bottom teeth too.

What can I do to stop this severe gum disease, they tell me that it`s genetic, my grandmother, had tooth loss, so did my mom, and her sister my aunt.

How can I stop this, they say I`m a candidate for dental implants. I don`t know what to do. I brush regularly, floss, and rinse with oral rinses, and my teeth still get loose, most of the ones left are lose, what can I do?

Answer:

Periodontal disease is a bacterial infection caused by specific microorganisms. However, only some of us are susceptible to this disease. Depending on different populations, 5% to 30% of people have higher risk of developing severe types of periodontal diseases. And this part is genetics.

At the age of 43, you lost all your back teeth. You have a partial denture for only the top missing teeth and you still do not have biting surface at the back. Thus, the demand from your left lower front teeth is too big and they cannot tolerate the chewing forces.

I recommend you get a lower partial denture if you cannot afford implants. Implant-supported fixed type of restorations are a good alternative because they will prevent additional bone loss.

But, you have to have continuous dental care from a periodontist because this disease may develop around implants too. You may also need additional surgeries to increase bone support since you lost your teeth and you have been wearing dentures. I am sure that bone loss at areas where you are already missing teeth is severe.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology