Urinary Disorders

4 yr old with frequent urge to urinate

11/06/2008

Question:

My 4 yr old daughter has a very frequent urge to urinate. She will say she has to go after only a few minutes of going. She is constantly putting her hands in her underwear and seems very uncomfortable. We have had her tested for UTIs and no bacteria has ever been present. It is getting worse and we are getting no answers. She will get up 5-6 times in a 1 hour period at night to go. There are times when the urge is very intense and brings tears even though she has just gone. Her doctor examined her and said she shows a slight bit of irritation around the vaginal opening and that it could be vaginitis. However there is no discharge or mal odor. I`ve been searching the internet for other possibilities but have not seen anything. Do you have any suggestions or further tests that we should have done? It is getting progressively worse. Thank you.

Answer:

It sounds like she may have an overactive bladder, which often improves with treatment with anticholinergic medication such as oxybutynin or other similar medications. She might need to undergo a renal sonogram to be certain that her urinary tract is normal.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology