Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Spine and Back Health

Massage therapy



I went to my family doctor because I was having pain and stiffness in my back. I also have rheumatoid arthritis. He told me that I was having muscle spasms. He gave me Norflex and told me to goto a massage therapist. I have never had it done before. I am half afraid to go because I don`t want to end up in more pain then I already in from my RA. How does a massage help with back pain and normal do most people need to go more the once?


Hello, thank you for your question. Massage therapy can be very helpful for people with muscle spasms. As long as they don’t do very aggressive “manipulations” or “adjustments”, trying to “re-align” your spine, you should be fine. Make sure they know you have RA. It is common for people to need several sessions or treatments. Good luck.

For more information:

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

Response by:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University