Infertility

How Can I Get Pregnant?

12/10/2008

Question:

I started my period when I was younger, then they stopped. My doctor suggested that I might have eggs but there is a barrier stopping them, somehow. I then realized that having problems with my periods could ver well affect my ability to reproduce. please help me

Answer:

If your periods are irregular, it is likely that you are not regularly ovulating (making an egg).  You should have blood testing performed, including a TSH level (to test for thyroid function) and another hormone called prolactin.  If you have hair growth on your face, chest, back, or abdomen, you may have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). 

Usually, treatment is simple and consists of taking a fertility pill to get you to ovulate.  Prior to treatment, your husband should have a semen analysis, and you should consider having a dye test to see if your tubes are open. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD