COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Throat blockage

11/18/2008

Question:

I recently had what I thought was a cold. I didn`t have any fever nor anything. It all started with a sore throat and I eventually lost my voice for 3-4 days. Most of the drainage is gone but now I feel like I have something stuck in my throat. I tried taking Robitussin and some expectorant but nothing comes up. I feel like it goes down my throat and into my chest but then comes back up. I am not coughing really bad, it`s just like a tickle in my throat that makes me cough and gag. I still don`t have a fever nor any other symptoms. Could this be some pulmonary infection?

Thanks!

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness and for your question. When people describe a feeling of something stuck in the throat, it is called a "globus sensation". This could be from many causes, including diseases that irritate the throat like acid reflux, chronic sinus drainage, or a throat infection. Those same things can produce a "tickle in the throat".

Your description would be unusual for a pulmonary infection. You did not mention how long this has been going on, but if it has been for more than a couple weeks, you should see a doctor (ear, nose, and throat specialist) for a history and examination of your throat.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Michael E Ezzie, MD Michael E Ezzie, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep