Spine and Back Health

Pain in Upper Back

11/18/2008

Question:

I am experiencing an upper back pain (under scapula towards spine) for the past 1.5 years. The pain is not static and appears mostly when leaning towards the front side. A burning sensation behind the scapula and after this a tingling is felt. Tingling remains for two to three minutes. Raising the hands upwards will occassionally releieve the pain.

I have done an NCV/EMG tests since my Doc was suspecting a supra scapular nerve entrapment. This showed up negative. I have also done an MRI of the whole spine which also resulted in negative showing no "visible" disc herniation. The pain has now started seriously affecting my quality of life since I am unable to sit for even short intervals with out a back support.

Can anyone suggest what can I do about this to diagnose the problem? A neuro surgeon has given me some pain relievers especially for the nerve, which has resulted in a pain relief, but causing excessive dizziness. Thanks in advance for helping me.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, we try to answer general questions about health but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your condition, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with your history, physical exam, and test results. Your questions about the testing results you've been given or the risks, benefits, and alternatives for proposed treatments of this condition need to be directed to your treating physician(s). You should insist that they answer these questions in a way that you are able to understand before consenting to any treatment. If your physician is unable to help you understand these issues, you should get a second opinion. For a problem of this type, you may want to consider seeing a neurologist. Take care.

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery