Urinary Disorders

Kidney Stones Episodes for 10years

02/05/2009

Question:

I recently went to the emergency room in severe pain, which I assumed was a stone stuck some where causing this acute pain. The doctors their told me I must have passed it because they found nothing. Three week later the pain returned but not as bad, so of cause I went into my urologist and asked for my options - which he scheduled a ureterscopy for 11/7 and found no stones. It`s now a week later and I have new severe pain on the opposite side of the original pain with a really red urine. My doctor told me to hang on the pain should disappear soon. I`m afraid something happened that he is not telling me. This worries me. Please Help to ease my mind.

Answer:

It is worth following up with your urologist and advising that you had another episode of red urine and flank pain on the other side one week after the ureteroscopy. The blood may be a normal sequale after the procedure or could represent a stone, etc, on the other side. It would be worth discussing this with your urologist and discussing the procedure that was performed (if bilateral retrograde xrays were performed, this may account for the symptoms and not be unexpected after the procedure).

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology