Dizziness after root canals

11/17/2008

Question:

Hi- 1 1/2 weeks ago my dentist began a root canal on my back upper left molar b/c I was in a lot of pain. Progress has been slowed because it was infected and I had to start antibiotics. My third visit was 3 days ago; the procedure is still unfinished. Thursday morning I woke up and felt extremely dizzy and I had to lay back down in bed. I ended up back in the office that afternoon to get a 2nd root canal begun on my lower left molar due to sudden pain there that began after my third visit for the 1st tooth.

The problem is that now--instead of having agonizing toothaches--I can`t lay, sit, stand, or walk without varying degrees of dizziness,instability, and incoordination. I can`t do anything without feeling very unsafe. I never have been dizzy like this before, so I feel like this all must be connected. Any insight you could give me would help me a lot. Thank you.

Answer:

It would be very unlikely that your dizziness would be related to a root canal procedure. However, one can have dizziness from medications or medication interactions if you were prescribed certain types of medications.

I would seek care from your physician now if this dizziness is as debilitating as described to determine the cause and to treat your problem.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics