Asthma

Could a yeast allergy cause asthma?

11/17/2008

Question:

My daughter was recently diagnosed with exercise induced asthma (she is 16). Lately, she gets light headed/ dizzy and doesn`t feel good (stomach ache) about an hour after she eats. A friend suggested that perhaps she is allergic to yeast which is making her feel bad after she eats. It may also be a trigger for her asthma. Is this possible?

Answer:

Yes it is possible that you could experience exercise-induced breathing difficulties if you have exercise-induced asthma and are exposed to an allergic trigger (in this case , yeast) a short period of time before you exercise. We see people with environmental allergies (such as freshly cut grass) who have increased problems with exercise-induced asthma symptoms all the time when they are exposed to their individual triggers.. Food allergies can also cause a similar problem, but are less common. My advice is to have her formally tested for food allergies by an allergist.

Go to the Asthma health topic, where you can:

Jonathan P Parsons, MD, MSc Jonathan P Parsons, MD, MSc
Clinical Associate Professor
Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep