Spine and Back Health

Lower back pain

12/03/2008

Question:

I have developed lower back pain. It starts near my tailbone and then spreads to either side of my butt. I also have sevre RA espicialy in my hips. I can bearly move my legs now due to the pain and my lower back being very stiff. I am NSAID, Prednisone and pain medication for my RA but it is not helping my back or my RA any more. I can lift my leg only about 1 inch off the floor becaue my hips don`t move like that any more. I have tried muscle relaxers that never worked and now trying massage. I only had one massage yet but it has not helped yet. I also use heat and ice. My family doctor don`t know what is causing my lower back pain. I think that it is some type of inflamtroy arthrtiis because it feel just like my RA. What else is out there that I can try? If something soon don`t help I am not going to be able to use my legs any more.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, we try to answer general questions about health but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your condition, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with your history, physical exam, and test results. You don't mention whether you have had an MRI or other diagnostic tests. If not, you probably should ask your doctor about that. If you have not seen a spine care specialist, you should ask your primary doctor for a referral to one.

Your questions about the testing results you've been given or the risks, benefits, and alternatives for proposed treatments of this condition need to be directed to your treating physician(s). You should insist that they answer these questions in a way that you are able to understand before consenting to any treatment. If your physician is unable to help you understand these issues, you should get a second opinion. Take care.

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery