Depression

Emotional Regulation and Depression

12/08/2008

Question:

Hi, I have been wondering lately if I suffer from depression, recently (over the past month or so) I have been feeling really empty I suppose, and I am starting to think of death and suicide a fair bit. I cannot concentrate, I'm finding it really hard to remember things, I'm becoming more anti-social, and I'm becoming more sensitive and crying for no reason quite often, almost everyday, to be honest I don't really think life is worth living, do you think I suffer from depression? If so how long will it last? If so will it help to see a councilor? as that's the last thing I want to do, I have a strong dislike of them ever since I had to see one about the death of my dad when I was younger.

Answer:

Yes, it is possible from what you say that you may suffer from clinical depression. There are many ways to treat depression and you can choose the best ways for you. Ask your primary care doctor to evaluate you for depression, or see a mental health specialist to verify whether you have depression. If you do have depression, the book Getting Your Life Back by Jesse Wright and Monica Basco, will show you the many ways you can treat your depression and prevent it from returning. Best wishes for an instructive and effective treatment experience.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Lawson  Wulsin, MD Lawson Wulsin, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Family Medicine, Training Director of the Family Medicine Psychiatry Residency Program