High Blood Pressure

High Blood Pressure - but low heart rate what

12/08/2008

Question:

I have had high blood pressure for 23 years, since an anaphylactic response to (non related) medication. it is usually controlled around 165/90 but has recently become around 213/107 despite additional medication. My pulse is in the mid 40`s.

My doctor is reluctant to use more medication.

Any ideas on the potential causes or treatments?

I had a suspected heart attack in July 2007

Answer:

A blood pressure of 165/90 is too high, and a value of 213/107 is critical and needs to be addressed quickly.

Your treated blood pressure should be 130/80 or even lower, especially if you have heart disease.  You will most likely need three or more drugs to reach that goal.

If it has not been done, you need an thorough evaluation to rule out additional cause of high blood pressure, such as renal artery stenosis, kidney disease or endocrine abnormalities (aldosterone and catecholamine levels).  It is important that you get your blood pressure under control as fast as possible.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Professor of Medicine
Director of Hypertension Section