Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Sports Medicine

What is a bursa?



My mother has a bunch on her hip or upper leg which they call a Burisa or Bersa??

What is a Burisa. When they did hip surgery thay cut right through this Burisa.this was several years ago. She is now having some pain in that area. Can you tell me if it is full of fluid or what is it anyway? I can not find anything on this Burisa.


A bursa is a fluid-filled sac that protects the hip.  It can become irritated due to scar tissue from the surgery or because of a hip problem or due to friction from tight muscles.  There are treatments for it.  Contact your doctor for an assessment and he/she can direct you towards the right treatment for you.

For more information:

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Tammy S Wadsworth, PT MS OCS Tammy S Wadsworth, PT MS OCS
Sports Medicine Team Member
Clinical Instructor at The School of Allied Medical Professions
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University