Head and Neck Cancer

Sore and swollen lymp nodes in left side neck

12/02/2008

Question:

Hello,I`m a 24 year old woman and about 8 months ago I noticed a lump under my jaw on my left side it was a little enlarged but not really that big. Well that would come and go so it would pretty much go away on its own well over the months it has been coming more often and staying not really going back down to normal size. In the past 3 months it has been getting bigger and only shows up when ever I eat or drink something. The way it starts is I get a little tingling or burn in the very back of my toung on the left side and within minutes my neck is really swollen. It starts out right under my jaw kinda in the middle of my neck and half way down my neck and midway to my ear. It is really sore to the touch and grows in size when I eat. I do not have a sore throat and have no problem getting the food down. I`m really concerned about this please tell me what you think or if this has happen to anyone else thanks for your time.

Answer:

This may be a problem with your submandibular gland. You should see an otolaryngologist.

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Yash J Patil, MD Yash J Patil, MD
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology