Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Pain in crown

12/01/2008

Question:

Hello, about a month ago I had a sinus infection. Around the same time I started having tooth pain in a tooth that had a crown. I went to the Dentist, who took an XRay and said it was probably a sinus infection rather than a tooth problem and gave me an antibiotic. The dentist saw murkiness in the sinus cavity as opposed to anything where the tooth is. It got worse for a few days, and then got moderately better. Now, a whole month later, the tooth is getting very painful again. It is very senstitive to heat especially, not much to cold, but I don`t like cold much anyway so it doesn`t get much cold exposure. Could this be residual pain from the sinus infection? Do the nerves stay irritated for a while and it is just a matter of time to let them settle down? If this is actually the tooth/crown, am I harming anything by letting it go? I have some obligations that will not permit me to have the crown taken care of for at least several weeks. Plus, I don`t want to disturb the crown if it is just a matter of letting the nerves settle down.

Answer:

Clinical examination is needed to determine the origin of the current pain. It may be unrelated.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry