Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Unexplained Urine Leakage

12/22/2008

Question:

My 6 year old boy has no history of bed wetting or any health problems at all. All of a sudden about 6 weeks ago he began to leak urine here and there. Now, he is in a pull up all day! This has changed our lives. He is frustrated and so are we, for him. He is missing school and we have an egg timer going off every 20 minutes at home and at school, when he`s there. His ultra sound came back normal and no infections. Now he is on Detropan Syrup, 1 week now and NO difference yet. What Next??

Answer:

His symptoms are not rare, but usually children respond to medications like Ditropan. I assume that there is no urinary tract infection and that constipation has been ruled out; in addition, it is important to check his lower back to be certain that he does not have a sacral abnormality. Furthermore, his postvoide residual urine volume should be checked. His situation is puzzling, and he would benefit from a pediatric urological evaluation. He may need to undergo urodynamic testing or a voiding cystourethrogram.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology