Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Athletic Training

Hip or lower back pain



I have very sevre RA in my hips and other joints and I also got pain and stiffness in my lower back that my doctor can`t figure out what the pain is from. When I get hip pain from ra I feel it in my groin area. Now I also get pain in the same place but on the back of my hip. I call it where the back of my leg joins my butt. Normaly when my hip pain increases mean that my ra is going to flare and I would increase my Prednisone before it gets too bad. But if it is from my back then I would not increase the Prednisone. Could the pain in the back of my leg that conects to my butt be from my hip or is pain in that area lower back?


Thank you very much for contacting NetWellness. Unfortunately, it is very hard for me to decipher whether your pain is coming from your hip or your low back without a physical examination.

Low back pain can be caused by several things, one of which can be tight hamstrings (which originate where it sounds like you are describing pain at the ischial tuberosity).

I would recommend a light stretching regimen that addresses your hamstrings, piriformis/gluteal muscles, and hip flexors. I apologize that I don't feel I can give you any more information than that at this point. I also can't make any recommendations as to whether or not you should change how you are currently taking your medications. That is something you will need to discuss with your physician.

I hope this information helps and again, I would recommend a follow up with your primary care physician or orthopedist if you have continued symptoms.

Take care and best wishes.

For more information:

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Katrina B Stibel, MA, ATC Katrina B Stibel, MA, ATC
Assistant Athletic Trainer, Instructor
Department of Athletics
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University