Addiction and Substance Abuse

Underage drinking and stomach pain

12/01/2008

Question:

I`m sixteen. And for the last 4 or 5 weekends straight I have been drinking a lot of alcohol in a short period of time.(Mostly vodka and beer) I felt OK until last Saturday night when I drank 5 red cups of 7up/Smirnoff vodka, and one can of beer. All within just barely over an hour. Needless to say, I was throwing up all night and the next morning. Since then I have felt constantly nausious and have pain in the center of my stomach. I`m afraid to tell my parents but I`m not sure if this will go away on its own or I need help.

Answer:

You did not say if you are a boy or girl, but it really doesn't matter. It sounds to me that you are appropriately concerned and I strongly believe that the time to get help is now.

I would hope you could confide in your parents and tell them the truth. If you can't, then ask to see your pediatrician or family physician and tell that person. I would do this as soon as possible. You need help and you need it now.

Congratulations on having the awareness that what you are doing with alcohol is dangerous. If you don't get help now, the problem will only get worse. Good luck and God bless.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Peter D Rogers, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor