Digestive Disorders

Ulcerative Colitis

12/02/2008

Question:

Over ten years ago I had a bad case of ulcerative colitis and was told that the colonoscopy showed that most of my colon was badly inflammed. That was the first and only time I had it and haven`t been on medication for it since. I was 47 at the time. When I saw an internist years later, he said I didn`t fit the profile for it and it wasn`t really colitis. I never understood that, because just by definition it was. But since I didn`t fit the profile and never had it again, could he somehow have been correct or could it have been just an unexplainable fluke, for lack of a better term?

Answer:

It sounds unusual that you have not had any symptoms since the initial diagnosis of ulcerative colitis 10 years ago. That, indeed, does not "fit the profile". It is quite likely that 10 years ago you had an infectious colitis or other cause of colitis that is self-limiting but can mimic ulcerative colitis. I guess that is all good news for you.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Annette  Kyprianou, MD Annette Kyprianou, MD
Senior Clinical Instructor of Medicine