Colorectal Diseases

Celiac disease?

Lower abdominal pain and discomfort for months. Had pelvic ultrasound,CT scan, lots of lab work done. Because an IgA test was flagged high, and a gluten intolerence test for antibodies showed "weak elevated" it was suggested that I have celiac disease. I hesitate to have a gastroscopy because I have none of the symptoms of celiac disease-such as, like weight loss or diarrhea, etc. Even the abdominal pain is described as "upper" and not "lower."

In the absence of all the symptoms listed, should I go ahead with a gastroscopy? I know it would be definitive but should`t there be some symptoms before doing this icky test?

Sounds like you've had a very thorough evaluation, and gastroscopy would perhaps be the next logical step. Remember, every disease process can act differently in individuals affected by it.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division