Allergies

Allergies vs colds

12/15/2008

Question:

I am in an office where they are doing renovations and also most people in the office have a cold. I never had any tyope of allergy before. How can I tell witch one it is?

Answer:

It is very difficult sometime to tell if symptoms are due to a cold or allergies. Often, however, an upper respiratory infection will be associated with other signs of illness. These may include fever, aches or fatigue. Sometimes, an illness is in many locations (nose, ears, throat, etc). Allergies can have many of the same symptoms (runny nose, cough, sinus pressure, eye irritation), however, if there is an environmental cause, the symptoms should go away when you are not in the environment. So, if you are home on the weekends and the symptoms are still there, I would suspect that it is not something in your workplace unless you have more allergy symptoms than you describe and are allergic to multiple indoor/perennial allergens.

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

David  Hauswirth, MD David Hauswirth, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Pulmonary, Allergy, Crtitical Care & Sleep
Pediatrics