Braces

Free braces

12/15/2008

Question:

Hello, I have a question. I am a 26 year old full time student. I have a two year old child and right now I can`t afford braces at all. I have needed braces since I was in the systems care as a child but never received them. I know that it`s not likely, but I was wondering if there were any way that I could find an orthodontist who offers occasional pro bono services? I just want to finally know what it is like to smile and not be embarrased of my teeth. Thanks for having this site that allows people like me to get answers to questions we so desperately need to know.

Answer:

I am asked this question often. Pro bono work in dentistry is usually confined to single procedures by the general dentist who can sometimes afford to do this because it is not repetitive.

Unfortunately, orthodontics often requires two years of treatment and orthodontists who have to pay rent, supplies, salaries, and the like simply cannot do pro bono work.

I suggest you try a service organization such as Rotary, Kiwanis, or Sertoma in your area and see whether it might be willing to help. You might also check with the Case School of Dental Medicine in Cleveland to see whether it has any openings.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry