Cancer

When Do You Know

12/15/2008

Question:

My father has an unidentified cancer, but it does seem to be everywhere (to include 1 known location hip bone, and brain). He has been put on hospice. He hasn`t eaten for over 6 weeks and is on minimal medication (according to hospice) for pain. He sleeps over 3/4 of his day, makes some sense in limited communication. He is extremely restless but not due to pain. He has lost bladder control and was put on oxygen as needed for respitory distress. I need someone to tell me where we are at in the process and some things to expect as we move forward.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness.  We are very sorry to learn of your father`s situation.  Your questions are all good ones, but the best person to address them is the hospice nurse.  Typically the nurse comes to a patient`s home at least once a week (in addition to aides).  Schedule some time in advance with the nurse to ensure that you are there, and have your questions addressed at that time.  Best wishes.

Go to the Cancer health topic, where you can:

Paula  Silverman, MD Paula Silverman, MD