Urinary Disorders

Prostate Stones

12/22/2008

Question:

Can the presence of prostate stones give false positives for a PSA test? I have been diagnosed with prostate stones and over the years my PSA readings have fluctuated between 1.9 and 6.6. The 6.6 reading was in 2003. A restest 3 months later showed it to be 3.9. Subsequent tests were in the 2.0 range. The last few years it has been around 3.6 and now my current test is at 4.4. Based on my history, my PCP wants me to get retested in about 3 months. The stones cause few if any symptoms. A few times I had blood in my urine. X-ray if the kidneys for stones showed the prostate stones (incidental x-ray). A DRE for my age (63) is normal.

Answer:

I would not expect the stones in the prostate to cause a false elevation of the PSA. I would continue follow-up on the PSA and consider obtaining a percentage free PSA.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Lee E Ponsky, MD Lee E Ponsky, MD
Associate Professor of Urology