Prostate Cancer

Turp

12/22/2008

Question:

My dad just had the TURP surgery and he was fine the next day. Then the day after he was holding urine and they had to reinsert the catheter and do the irrigation process because he had blood clots. How common is this and how likely is it that this will happen again? We are all very upset because his blood pressure is skyrocketing. He`s 77 years old.

Answer:

It is not uncommon to have bleeding and clots after Transurethral prostatectomy and this can occur as the urethra heals for up to six weeks or so after the procedure. The clots can block the water channel (urethra) and cause urinary retention. Placing a catheter and irrigating the clots out of the bladder is the usual treatment. It is difficult to predict how likely this is to happen again. It can be dependent on a number of factors including the size and vascularity of the gland etc. I would suggest that you discuss this with the treating urologist. He can give you more insight into your dad's specific situation.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology