Head and Neck Cancer

Lump on Right Side of Throat Since 1997

12/30/2008

Question:

In the summer 1997 I noticed a lump about the size of quarter or a little less and as thick as 1/4" under my chin on the right side on the muscle tissue connecting the trachea? to the tongue. I had head pressure and ear pressure and was seen by a oncologist who looked at it and told me it wasn`t cancerous. No tests were done.

Since then it has given me pain occasionally (nausea, shocking pain over the bump and ear fluid sometimes) and I have been seen by a general practitioner and an ear nose and throat specialist both who told me I don`t have cancer. (By the way they both knew I was cash pay not sure if that makes a difference - no offense.)

The ear nose and throat doctor told me he could tell if it was cancer by simply looking at my throat and mouth and staked his practice that I don`t have cancer. That was two to two and a half years ago.

Within last few weeks I have awoken to jaw joint pain and scared. I have no symptoms of cancer that I know of, I haven`t lost any weight, my mouth and throat looks normal and cuts heal fast. I am making an appointment with another doctor on Monday.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thank you doctor. You are some of the true heroes of life. All this makes me want to find a veteran doctor to place my trust in along with God to be cared for. I`m very scared.

Answer:

It is hard for me to figure out what the problem is without examining you but the fact that you have had this for 10 years without any changes rules out a lot of bad things. Regardless it should be checked by and ear nose and throat doctor. If there is something that he is concerned about a biopsy can be doen and sometimes even a CT scan. In this area under your chin it could be a lymph node or some congenital remnant of the thyroid or an epidermal cyst. These last two lesions are normally removed to prevent further issues in the future. Go and see your ear nose and throat. He would be able to explain this to you further.

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Pierre  Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS Pierre Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS
Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery