Mouth Diseases

Red lining and swollen bottom lip

12/18/2008

Question:

My lip has been swollen and has a red lining on the bottom lip, it has been like this for 6 weeks. I have seen my PCP, Dentist, Dermatologist and other doctors. I am really concerned about it and it seems everyone thinks it is an allergy, so they have be on antihistamines. I am really concerned about what it could be. It does not hurt, it is swollen and has a red lining on my bottom lip. Do you have any suggestions?

Answer:

Whenever there is a question about the diagnosis of a condition such as yours, I nearly always recommend that a biopsy be obtained from the problem area. There are several conditions besides an allergic-like reaction that could cause persistent swelling of the lip. The results of a biopsy typically provide a clear idea of the cause and the proper treatment to get you back to normal. Check with your dentist, but a dental specialist called an oral and maxillofacial surgeon is usually the person to see for the minor surgical procedure. Good luck!

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology