Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Pain Management

Head Pain



For about 2 or 3 years I have a really bad pain in the back of my head. Mainly on the right side. I have went to the doctors and they say it is normal there is nothing they can do. I have had a CT scan about 2 years ago. They didn't see anything. What can I do for my pain?


You should see a pain specialist who is comfortable managing headache (such as at UH). The headache that you are describing is likely (what is referred to as) cervicogenic headache (ie originating from the neck). It usually follows a whiplash injury in younger patients, arthritis in older patients and sometimes can have no particular cause identified. Injections in the back of the head or the upper neck spine can diagnose the source of the headache and help in identifying the appropriate modality to institute for long-term relief.

For more information:

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University