Mouth Diseases

Bumps under tongue

12/18/2008

Question:

for over a month now ive noticed i have had skin bumps on the bottom of my tongue and there are some under my tongue too as well as on the part that connects your tongue to your mouth. at first underneath my tongue would get swollen like and my mom told me i had dry mouth syndrome but the bumps still haven`t gone away. its almost like i have goosebumps or taste buds on the bottom of my tongue that are soft almost like skin tags, i`m only 15. is this anything to worry about? please answer back.

Answer:

What you are describing could be normal structures of the under surface of the tongue called the fimbriated folds (plica fimbriata). These are usually found on both sides of the tongue (seen bilaterally) although they may vary from one side to another. They are nothing to worry about. If you have any concerns, though, you should have your dentist check these bumps to be sure. Good luck!

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology