Cold and Flu

Sore Throat

12/18/2008

Question:

We went out to dinner yeaterday and one of the sauces with the meal was spicy. A few hours later I had a sore throat. I know that there is always viruses on the go but know one around me has the flu or a cold. Could it having any thing to do with the spicy food?

Answer:

Interesting question. The spicy food can sometime cause some inflammation, but it's usually in the mouth rather than the throat. You don't say if you have any other symptoms like fever, joint aches, loss of appetite, fatigue, or runny nose, all of which are symptoms of flu.

IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT TO GET YOUR FLU SHOT!! You can't get the flu from the shot, and it will not only help you, but also help protect your family and coworkers as well.

Back to the sore throat - try some warm saline gargles and some Tylenol or Advil to relieve the symptoms. If you notice sharp pains and feel like something is sticking in your throat, you may want to get checked to see if you have anything lodged in there like a small fish bone. Hope this helps.

Go to the Cold and Flu health topic, where you can:

Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD
Professor of Clinical Nursing