Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Nerve or vein damage?

12/23/2008

Question:

About three days ago I had my rountine PT/INR performed. Blood was drawn from my right arm and during the procees I felt this sensation from my elbow to my hands and fingers like when you hit your elbow against something very hard. I was told it was probably because the needle went to deep in the vein. My doctor called the next day and told me that my INR was too high and to stop taking the coumadin and have a repeat lab. I went for the lab (stat)yesterday and had blood drawn on my left arm without any problem. Again, I was told that my INR was too high and that I should go to the ER. Blood was drawn again, this time on my right arm but not in the same location.(I was given Vitamin K to lower INR) Today, that sensation is back. I feel numbness and a tingly/electric sensation in my elbow and hands/fingers. I feel discomfort especially when I extend my arm and have my hand palm side up. Sorry for keeping this long, but what could this problem be due to?

Answer:

It sounds like the nerve and you should consult with your physician.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Eric H Kraut, MD Eric H Kraut, MD
Professor of Hematology