Pulmonary Hypertension

PH and cough

01/07/2009

Question:

I have PH but have no symptoms. I got a cold and has had it now for 2 weeks and it is not getting any better. I have a realy bad cough. My family doctor told me that I was having bronical spasms. If I do any thing I get short of breath. If I breath heavy or cough I get this burning pain in my chest and back. I can feel and hear the congestion in my chest. Could this be broncitis and should I go back to see my family doctor? He never did any thing last time but told me to breath in the cool air outside if I get into a coughing fit and to use a vaporizer to keep my throat from drying out. I am sick of being sick.

Answer:

Thank you for your question. PH is occasionally a cause of cough but this is relatively infrequent. Although you said that you have PH but no symptoms, the shortness of breath when you exert yourself may be a symptom of PH. Additionally, the chest discomfort you are feeling potentially could be due to PH as well. Alternatively, you may be experiencing another problem such as asthma or an acute infection. I would recommend that you be evaluated by a physician knowledgeable about pulmonary hypertension.

Go to the Pulmonary Hypertension health topic, where you can:

Douglas W Haden, MD Douglas W Haden, MD